Information for International Travelers

Entry Requirements Lightened

As of 1 April 2022, pre-entry COVID-19 tests are no longer required for fully vaccinated travelers entering Canada. Testing of travelers on arrival is random and those who are tested are not required to quarantine while waiting for results. Travelers who are not vaccinated for COVID-19 have the option of providing a negative rapid antigen test result administered by a healthcare provider or laboratory one day prior to entry, or providing a negative molecular test result taken no more than 72 hours prior to entry. Rapid tests conducted at home do not qualify.

Who Can Enter Canada

  • Canadian citizens (including dual citizens), people registered under the Indian Act, permanent residents of Canada, or protected persons (refugee status) are allowed to enter Canada.
  • Fully vaccinated foreign nationals may be allowed enter Canada for discretionary (tourism) travel.

Foreign nationals who don't qualify as fully vaccinated will only be allowed to enter in specific circumstances.

Find out if you can enter Canada

Learn more about entry requirements and exemptions

Steps and checklist for vaccinated travelers entering Canada

Tip sheet for traveling and quarantining if needed (PDF)


Testing Requirement Ended to Enter the U.S.

As of 12 June 2022, a negative COVID-19 test is no longer required to (re-)enter the United States. ISPD has reduced hours for on-site testing to Tuesday only, 9:00 AM-4:00 PM in Room 518A. If you pre-scheduled a test on Wednesday or Thursday, please email Lynne Valentic for assistance with a refund. COVID-19 tests are available from test centers near the convention centre, such as the following.

InstaTestExpress (located in Gare Centrale train station)
895 Rue De La Gauchetière West | +1 800.471.9693
Mon–Sun, 10:30 AM–6:30 AM —No appointment needed

RPD Testing 
1187 Ste-Catherine Street West | +1 438.820.5695
Mon–Fri, 10:00 AM–7:00 PM; Sat, 11:00 AM–7:00 PM; Sun, 11:00 AM–6:00 PM
Walk in, or book an appointment at

Curis Medical Centre-Ville
933 Boulevard Réne-Lévesque East | +1 438.507.5226
Book an Appointment

You may also search for a pharmacy near the convention centre.




All travelers arriving from outside of Canada must use ArriveCAN to provide mandatory travel information at least 72 hours before traveling and after entry into Canada. Learn more about ArriveCAN.

App Store Google Play Online

Find more information on traveling to and within Canada.


eTA or Visa?

Visa-exempt foreign nationals are expected to have an Electronic Travel Authorization (eTA) to fly to or transit through Canada. Exceptions include U.S. citizens and travelers with a valid Canadian visa. Canadian citizens, including dual citizens, and Canadian permanent residents are not eligible to apply for an eTA. Most foreign nationals need a visa to travel to Canada.

Find out if you need an eTA or a visa to travel to Canada.

Online eTA Application

Video Overview: eTA: What you need to know.
Fee: $7 CAD
Processing Time: Usually within minutes, but up to several days
You will need: valid passport; valid email address; credit or debit card  

Visitor Visa Application

Fee: $100 CAD or more
Processing Time: Varies by country — Check processing times
Before applying: You may need to give biometrics (not included in processing time)
* Visa Application Centers outside Canada
Find a visa application center
  • are commercial service providers authorized by Canada to provide specific services to applicants.
  • provide a number of services to clients, including help applicants fill out forms, answer questions and ensure that applications are complete.
  • reduce unnecessary delays or refusals due to incomplete applications.
  • serve as a collection point for applicants required to provide biometrics (fingerprints and photo).
  • send applications to visa offices and transmit decisions to applicants in a secure and confidential manner.
  • do not process visa applications and have no decision-making authority.


Customs and Immigration

Airport Baggage Claim and Inspection

Montréal Airport customs page

Entering Canada by Ground

Border information for international travel